- Dennis Marquez as Ryan Lockhart
- Frank Brookes as Brent Mayfield
- Joanie Term as Spanish immigrant worker
What would you do if you woke up in someone else's body? Go on a sex crime spree? This is a body-swap movie classic. A freak leap year eclipse meteor causes 65-year-old serial-killer Brent Mayfield and gay 18-year-old Ryan Lockhart to switch bodies. The first part of the movie we see the 18 turned 65-year-old weeping at his turgid penis, while the 65-year-old in an 18-year-old's body contracts 5 sexually transmitted diseases within a week. A dark, madcap screwball comedy ensues, and lots of people are knifed. An uncomfortable dance scene with a lonely immigrant worker from his local bodega (played by Joanie Term with one of the worst Spanish accents in movie history) has been criticized by many as "unnecessarily exploitative" and "basically statutory rape". However, other than this one blip and the convenient lack of consequences for any of Brent's/Ryan's heinous crimes, "Butchery And Other Hobbies" is generally considered to be a gem of the 1980s that culminates in one of the most unexpected twists in comedy history (spoiler alert!): Ryan is really Brent's long-lost son. It is thought this movie inspired "Knife After Dark".
Comments on Classicvinewood.com
- hellbraiser3 - "Who did Dreyfuss have to suck off to get an R rating? A woman gets skinned alive for christ's sake." - 4/10 stars
- milkborker - "The fact that the "body swap movie" is even a genre says it all." - 6/10 stars
- wetskipper - "The scene where Ryan dances the Argentine Tango with the carcasses in the freezer room always makes me cry." - 8/10 stars
- scarnoldyo - "So have I got this right? An 18-year-old boy has sex and commits mass murder in his father's body?" - 5/10 stars
- popmuncha2 - "Was this before or after Joanie Term became a crack whore?" - 4/10 stars
- porkisgood77 - "Why does everyone give Joanie such a hard time? Who wasn't freebasing in the 80s?" - 7/10 stars
- luvpickles4 - "If this is a classic movie I'm not a 47-year-old virgin still living with my parents." - 2/10 stars
- This movie is probably a parody of the 1997 movie Face/Off.
- Joanie Term is the only actress of this movie that has a star on the Vinewood Walk of Fame.
- This movie could be a hint of Peter Dreyfuss's real twisted self, as he's the one who mutilated, raped and murdered Leonora Johnson.
- The Name of the film may be a reference to a mission in Red Dead Redemtion, Exhuming And Other Fine Hobbies.