Bumps and Grinds is a side mission in Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories located at the Harwood Dirt Track in Harwood. The mission is triggered when Toni mounts a Sanchez parked near a tree on the western side of the course.
The mission is a time trial with 10 different courses to beat. It is required for 100% completion of the game.
All 10 courses do not need to be completed in a row, as the player can cancel the mission and continue from the point they have stopped.
After completing the courses, the player can return to the bike and try to beat their best score on each one.
Course times to beat
- Course 1: 0:58
- Course 2: 1:15
- Course 3: 1:14
- Course 4: 1:13
- Course 5: 1:30
- Course 6: 1:32
- Course 7: 1:30
- Course 8: 1:51
- Course 9: 1:23
- Course 10: 1:19
- If the player fails a course by either getting off their bike or destroying it, they will need to return to the original Sanchez spawn point and get another bike to retry the course; as the Sanchez may not immediately respawn, the player may need to wander around for a bit until it does.
- In most cases, being thrown from the bike (a hazard with jumps and sharp turns) will render it virtually impossible to complete a course in time. Often, completing a course within the time limit involves simply staying on the bike and avoiding being thrown off-course by sharp turns.
- Since there is no limit to how many times a course can be attempted, it's advisable to devote the first attempt (or two) of any course to familiarizing oneself with the layout and potential trouble spots.
- The name of the misson is a reference to the 1994 R. Kelly song "Bump n' Grind", which coincidentally featured on The Vibe 98.8 on the Grand Theft Auto IV soundtrack, three years later.
- The mission is loosely based on classic Nintendo game ExciteBike, which is a motocross time-trial game that the player have to jump through multiple obstacles.