The plot of the game revolves around 15-year-old protagonist Jimmy Hopkins and his adventures at Bullworth Academy, a prestigious prep school in the town of Bullworth in an unspecified New England state.
It has been proven that Bully exists in the same fictional universe as both the GTA and Manhunt series.
References to Grand Theft Auto
Bully has several subtle references to the GTA franchise.
- In Grand Theft Auto IV, Bullworth Academy is shown briefly in a segment of the CNT reality show I'm Rich. It is shown as a boarding school that Jill Von Crastenburg is attending.
- A Stallion can be found in Shop class. It is not a Diablo Stallion though since the car has a different flame pattern and lacks a hood-mounted supercharger.
- A blue Regina can also be sighted on a car-lift in Shop.
- Similarly, a station wagon appears around town. This station wagon is based on the Vice City and San Andreas renditions of the Regina.
- A yellow Forklift can be found parked in a shipping warehouse.
- A white Yankee with a dark-blue cargo hold can be found parked in an empty lot near another warehouse.
- A white and black Boxville can be found in Blue Skies Industrial Park.
- Washingtons often appear as average road vehicles.
- A character named Ricky Pucino seems to resemble Claude, which many fans think is a tribute in someways to the 3D Universe.
- Both the SUV model and Police SUV model have similarities with the Rancher.
- A hoodlum found in Strawberry sometimes wears a shirt with "HOPKINS" labelled on the back.
- The coat of arms of the Bullworth Academy was stylized and featured in Canis Canem Edit (pictured), a painting by Mathew Morse at The Diamond Casino & Resort. The painting's name is taken from the academy's motto, which means "Dog Eat Dog" in Latin.