Bradley Snider is a character in the Grand Theft Auto series who appears in the Prologue of Grand Theft Auto V, but is an important character in the game. Brad was a friend of Michael Townley and Trevor Philips and was a member of their heist crew prior to the events of Grand Theft Auto V. Despite his limited screen-time, the circumstances surrounding Brad's death play a key role in the later part of the storyline.
Little is known about Brad's early life.
Early criminal life
- Lester Crest: "A long, long time ago in a faraway place, there were three guys. Michael, Trevor, and Lester."
- Trevor Philips: "And Brad."
- Lester Crest: "Yeah, sure, Brad was there sometimes as well."
- —Lester and Trevor during Surveying the Score
Brad did not commit any serious crimes until he met with Trevor Philips and became a member of a heist crew, consisting of Trevor, Michael Townley and Lester Crest. From then on, they would rob banks and make a fortune, all while evading law enforcement. Despite their fruitful partnership, Brad was disliked by both Michael and Lester, who distrusted him. Trevor, on the other hand, had a closer connection with Brad than he did with Michael.
It was in 2004 when Brad participated in an ill-fated heist in Ludendorff, North Yankton, along with Michael, Trevor and an unnamed local getaway driver. The heist was a failure, with Trevor killing a security guard, unexpected police "attention" resulting in the death of their getaway driver, and Brad and Michael being shot during the escape by Dave Norton, an FIB agent. Only Trevor managed to escape from the authorities. Officially, Brad was imprisoned with a stiff sentence, while Michael was reported to have died from gunshot wounds. However, in reality, Brad succumbed to his wounds and was buried in the grave marked "Michael Townley", with Michael changing his and his family's surname to "De Santa" and moved west to Los Santos with his family under a deal with the FIB.
Over the next nine years, "Brad" maintained an infrequent correspondence with Trevor by writing letters and sending emails occasionally. It served as his only communication with the outside world, as he claimed to have been denied visitor privileges. By the time Trevor reunites with Michael and Lester, "Brad" seems relatively at peace with his situation and encourages Trevor to turn himself in, or at the very least give up his criminal life and live peacefully. In reality, these messages were written by Dave Norton, the FIB agent who killed him, to allow him to both monitor Trevor, and to prevent him from discovering the truth behind the cash depot heist.
Trevor eventually realizes the truth, however. Brad never survived the botched cash depot heist and was buried in the place of the legally dead Michael Townley. Michael, who knew the truth all along, tries to prevent Trevor from finding out, but fails to stop him. Over Michael's protests, Trevor flies out to North Yankton to confirm his suspicions, and exhumes Brad's corpse from "Michael's" grave.
Following this discovery, Michael and Trevor refuse to speak to each other, a hostility which lasts until the end of the storyline. At the end of the storyline, Dave emails Trevor and explains that he was the one who sent the e-mails and letters using Brad's identity. When hanging out, Trevor forgives Michael and both mutually agree that Brad was a "dick".
Brad had little screen time during the game to fully display his personality. What is known of him are second-hand descriptions, mostly by Trevor, who is an unreliable narrator.
For much of the game it is implied that Trevor and Brad had a close relationship. Trevor attempted to write to Brad while he was supposedly in prison, and several times during the game talked about missing Brad. When Trevor first begins to think that he was misled on Brad's death, he loses it and flies straight to North Yankton to verify. On the other hand, while hanging out with Franklin, Trevor says that he thought Brad was a "dick", and would have probably killed him at some point anyway. Michael never spoke too much about Brad, but Trevor claims that the two of them never liked each other and that at one point Brad planned to cut ties with Michael to work solely with Trevor. Lester Crest described Brad as the "shit" part of the team, because he was "lazy, forgetful, mean and stupid." Brad appears to lack empathy, as he laughs and brags about smashing a woman's face into a glass window. Michael berates him for doing so, sarcastically calling him a "stallion".
- Chronologically, Brad speaks the first lines in the HD Universe when he yells at a woman to "get down there!" as he is rounding up hostages during a robbery. This is excluding his grunt while pushing her and the woman's scream.
- An unused line from Brad during the heist suggests that he did not like Lester Crest, calling him a "walking stick", and expresses that it "feels good" to not have to pay Lester a cut for organizing the heist.
- Mission: Prologue
- Mission: By the Book
- Dave Norton: "Does he [Trevor] know how long you've been working for the FIB?"
- Michael De Santa: "How long? The fuck does that matter?"
- Dave Norton: "Either you were working with us before the cash depot job - you walked your crew into an ambush, one of them spent ten years on the run, and the other landed in a Federal penitentiary..."
- Michael De Santa: "Or?"
- Dave Norton: "Or we stumbled on the cash depot job, Brad went down, you went down, Trevor got away. The FIB cut you a deal on your sick bed, faked your death, and you end up here."
- Michael De Santa: "Who's to say which of those is true?"
- —Dave and Michael about what happened in North Yankton.
- Email:“Trevor, I hope you are okay. It is some time since I wrote you. The guards say I may be soon allowed some visitors. If I'm good.[...]”— An extract from "Brad"'s first email to Trevor.
- Email:“[...]I hope you are staying out of trouble. Either that or give yourself up. Prison ain't bad. In fact, I think you would love it.[...]”— An extract from "Brad"'s first email to Trevor.
- Mission: By the Book
- Michael De Santa: "Yeah, well according to my eyes, Trevor is your problem, Dave, as much as he is mine."
- Dave Norton: "He's not a problem at all. We're monitoring him. Has he said anything about Brad?"
- Michael De Santa: "Fuck yeah, he has. Plenty. I keep changing the subject. You know, he thinks you might actually commute Brad's sentence when this is all over."
- Dave Norton: "That's good. Fine work. We'll send another letter. It's about time, anyway."
- Michael De Santa: "Ah, so that's you who's been sending those fucking letters to Trevor, huh?"
- Dave Norton: "Yeah. He thinks they're from Brad - who he thinks is locked up in high security, and not, well not six feet under in a grave marked Michael Townley. The trainees write them. It's a good exercise."
- Michael De Santa: "What the fuck? How'd that get started?"
- Dave Norton: "A few years ago, a letter came to the federal prison system, addressed to Brad. Wasn't signed, but it gave a PO box in Sandy Shores. I played the part of Brad, and we started a correspondence."
- Michael De Santa: "Thanks for telling me, Davey."
- —Dave Norton, explaining to Michael how he started writing letters as Brad.
- Mission: Bury the Hatchet
- Mission: Pack Man
- Mission: Fresh Meat
- Mission: Lamar Down
- Mission: The Wrap Up
- Mission: The Big Score
- Mission: Something Sensible
- Mission: The Third Way
- Email: Post The Time's Come or The Third Way
“So we're clear, buddy - I wrote those Brad emails. All of them. Your secrets are safe with me. Now, calm the fuck down and stop being a crazy freak and people won't try and have you bumped off. No reply necessary. Stay away from me.”— Dave's email to Trevor
- Activity: Friend Hangout : Michael and Trevor“I mean, let's be honest, Brad was a dick, and things were getting out of control.”— Trevor about Brad.
- Michael De Santa: "Brad was a dick, wasn't he?"
- Trevor Philips: "Yeah, he was, bless him."
- —Michael and Trevor about Brad.
- Mission: Mr. Philips
- Heist: The Paleto Score
- Activity: Friend Hangout: Trevor and Franklin
- Trevor Philips: "Really, if I'm completely honest with you... Brad was a bit of a dick."
- Franklin Clinton: "The dude who got killed?"
- Trevor Philips: "Yeah, I mean... would I have done it one day? Maybe... probably... probably likely. I wouldn't have done it in such an underhanded fashion and the authorities wouldn't have been involved, but yeah, bit of a dick."
- Franklin Clinton: "So, all this was over a guy neither of you really liked."
- Trevor Philips: "Well, the principle was the thing. And, if I'm anything, I'm a man of principles."
- Franklin Clinton: "Eh, I'm happy you got over your principles and thank the universe Brad was a dick."
- —Franklin and Trevor about Brad.
- Mission: Friends Reunited “So little Trevor made a new friend called Brad, and he was thinking about cutting Mike off when it all went to shit and Mike got killed and Brad went to jail.”— Trevor's story to Wade Hebert
- Mission: Surveying the Score
- Lester Crest: "Well, a crew's more than the sums of it's parts, and he was a pretty shit part."
- Trevor Philips: "He is a pretty shit part, and that's only 'cause he's in jail."
- Lester Crest: "No, he was... is shit because he's lazy, forgetful, mean, and stupid - with respect."
- —Lester and Trevor about Brad.
- Mission: Prologue
- Brad Snider: "Did you see that shit? I fuckin' put that bitch's face against the glass. Did you see that?"
- Michael De Santa: "Yeah, you're a real stallion."
- —Brad and Michael during the getaway.
- Mission: Prologue“You know what feels good? Not giving the walking stick twenty cents on the dollar. That's what feels good.”— Brad's unused line about Lester -- 0xF30E58B9, proaud.gxt2