- This article is about boats in general. For a list of all boats, please see Category:Boats.
Boats are recurring watercraft first introduced in the original Grand Theft Auto as non-controllable vehicles (without the aid of modifications), and were made available as controllable vehicles in Grand Theft Auto III. They have been controllable in all games since (with the exception of Grand Theft Auto Advance). Due to similar attributes, jet-skis such as the Seashark are classified under this article.
Boats use a watertight hull that gives them the unique property that allows them to float on water. Boats are not capable of movement across land as they lack wheels, however, they can be found being towed on trailers in Grand Theft Auto V.
In GTA and the 3D Universe, boats were controlled in the same way that cars would. In the HD Universe, boats are controlled identical to the way motorcycles are controlled, moving the left analog stick or the up/down arrow keys will allow the player to adjust the boats twim to improve performance in a similar manner to the way weight is shifted on an in-game motorcycle.
In GTA and all games in the 3D Universe, boats showed no visual damage apart from the obvious smoking and fire. In Grand Theft Auto IV and Grand Theft Auto V, boats can be deformed by collisions and explosions. Boat damage is handled in the same manner as the 3D Universe in Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars.
- Main article: Submersible
In GTA V, a submersible was added as a controllable vehicle. Despite having completely different characteristics to a conventional boat, the game still categorizes the submersible as a boat.
- Apart from when blown up in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, GTA San Andreas and sometimes in GTA IV, boats are unsinkable. In GTA San Andreas, destroyed boats will gradually sink, slower than in GTA Vice City.
- Capsizing a boat in GTA San Andreas instantly kills CJ, even during Boat School lessons (confirmed with Dinghy and Vortex).
- Larger boats such as the Dignity and the Platypus are used as decorative props and are not controllable without modifications.
- Boats can be found being towed on trailers in GTA V, pushing or pulling these trailers into the water will allow the boat to be stolen.