- "On the west coast, you’re not only judged by your car, but also by your expensive exercise gear. A bicycle that costs $10,000? Why not? Delude yourself in tight shorts and tap shoes while yelling at pedestrians for getting in your way."
- ―GTA V Website
- "Southern San Andreas practically invented the art of turning ordinary transportation options into ways to maim yourself while showing off. Bicycle Motocross or BMX is a great way to make the urban landscape your playground. Just don't be surprised when people post video of you faceplanting off a flight of stairs."
- ―GTA V Website
Bicycles are pedal-driven two-wheeled vehicles that appear in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories and Grand Theft Auto V. Bunny hops can be performed on a bicycle. The player can fall off a bicycle if the player collides with enough force.
GTA San Andreas introduced the pedal bicycle to the Grand Theft Auto series. The player can increase Carl Johnson's cycling skill through long rides on bicycles or on the stationary bike at the Gyms. The higher the skill, the less chance Carl will fall off the bicycle, the higher he can bunny-hop, and the more responsive the bicycle is. When pedaling on a bike, when you perform a wheelie, you can reach a higher top speed. Bicycles are known to be completely indestructible. RPGs, grenades, molotovs, and vehicular explosions do not harm the bike in any way. Although, if any of these happen while the player is riding a bicycle, he will die.
In GTA San Andreas, because of a glitch, any bike will catch fire and explode if it somehow ends up resting upside down. This is a very difficult task to achieve, however, because the bike will almost never stay standing upside down for more than a few seconds.
In GTA V, bicycles make a return with realistic aspects and there are more bicycles than previous Grand Theft Auto games. Therefore, they are no longer considered invincible and can be destroyed by colliding with a vehicle at high speeds, or being blown up by explosives.
GTA San Andreas
GTA Vice City Stories
- In Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and Grand Theft Auto V, pedestrians can be seen riding bicycles. In Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, however, only the protagonist will ride a bicycle.
- Bicycles cannot be resprayed at Pay 'n' Spray in Grand Theft Auto San Andreas. If the player rides a bicycle into a Pay 'n' Spray, they will receive an "I don't do toys!" message. However, in GTA Vice City Stories, the player can go to the pay n' spray normally and the message will still say "new engine and paintjob".
- In GTA Online, bicycles cannot be insured, therefore if a player's bicycle is destroyed, it can not be recovered. In addition, the Mechanic does not deliver bikes nor recover them for the player.
- In GTA V, if the player activates the invincibility cheat, and rides near enough to an explosion to cause the wheels to fly off, the player can remain on the bike and continue to ride it as it skids around. However, it will possess extremely unresponsive handling, and will be very slow.
- Unlike Motorcycles, bicycles do not feature a radio. Even in GTA Online, where the player can buy headphones, they are still unable to listen to music.