A Dish Served Cold is one of the final storyline missions in Grand Theft Auto IV, if the "Revenge" ending is chosen. During the mission, Niko Bellic kills Dimitri Rascalov on board the Platypus, which is the ship that brought Niko to Liberty City.
During a meeting with Jimmy Pegorino, Niko had found out that he is being strongly pressured to do a heroin deal with Dimitri Rascalov. Niko decided not to take the deal and instead commit revenge against Dimitri after finding out from Roman that he is on board the Platypus. He goes over to the Platypus, which is still docked in East Hook, and a violent shootout occurs, killing every single one of Dimitri's men and Niko eventually corners him in the ship's cargo hold. During the standoff, Niko wounds Dimitri, who then begs for his life and tries to bribe him. Niko is unconvinced and kneecaps Dimitri before shooting him in the head, killing him instantly.
In order to complete the mission the player must:
- Go to the bridge.
- Operate the controls to open the cargo hold.
- Go to the cargo hold and get revenge on Dimitri.
- Finish off Dimitri.
- Go to the cargo hold's exit.
- Get off the ship.
- The mission Mr and Mrs Bellic is unlocked.
- Niko will call Roman, telling him that he has killed Dimitri on the Platypus and that it all ended where it started, Roman is disappointed to know as there will be no money for them but is glad to know Dimitri will not be around to bother them anymore.
- Niko will receive a call from Phil, telling Niko he understands why Niko did not proceed with the deal and that he also did not trust Dimitri. Phil also stated that the Pegorinos are falling apart and that he can't speak to Niko anymore.
- Niko will call Kate, telling her that he took her advice and did not participate in the deal with Dimitri. Kate responded by telling him that she is proud of him for putting his principles first over money and agrees to come to the wedding.
Post Mission phone calls:
1. Niko: I killed Dimitri, It's over. He was on the Platypus, the boat I arrived to Liberty City on, so it seems it ends where it began.
Roman: I guess you did what you thought you had to do, no deal, no money, no hot tubs and models, but Dimitri will not bother you again, I will see you at the wedding yes? Remember to wear a suit.
Niko: I'll be there Roman, Don't worry.
2. Phil: Hey, it's Phil, I understand why you made the decision you did. For what it's worth, I didn't trust that Dimitri neither.
Niko: Yeah, well, I did what I had to do....
Phil: Anyway, you and me can't talk no more. Jimmy's fallin' apart and the Pegorino's ain't nothin' no more, I'm out man, goodbye.
3. Niko: Hey, Kate. I took your advice. I cut my connections with that man.
Kate: I'm really proud of you, Niko. It must have been really hard to turn down the money and stick to your principles.
Niko: Well it was the right thing to do. Are you coming to Roman's wedding?
Kate: Can you pick me up and take me there? I'll be at my ma's.
Niko: See you soon.
- Dimitri Rascalov - Killed by Niko Bellic for betraying him and threatening Roman Bellic.
- Dimitri's thugs - Killed by Niko Bellic for attempting to kill him as he fights his way towards Dimitri.
- The name of the mission is a reference to a quote in the 1841 French novel Mathilde; the quote is translated into English as "Revenge is very good eaten cold." It has since been turned into "Revenge is a dish best served cold".
- In the opening cutscene, Dimitri makes a mistake in his Russian line, mispronouncing the Russian word for "heroin" (in Russian, the leading "h" is pronounced as a hard "g"). Later, there are mistakes in the Russian inscriptions on containers inside the ship.
- Dwayne's backup cannot be used for the shootout on the Platypus.
- During the mission the player can sometimes hear Dimitri uttering phrases via an intercom. These include: "There's an intruder on the ship!", "Yeah, we're having an intruder on the ship, beware!" and "A man is on the boat, watch for him!".
- When the player performs the execution on Dimitri in order to kill him, the Desert Eagle or Pistol will have to be used. Niko will kneecap Dimitri two times before shooting him in the head a final time, killing him. However, if the player has less than three bullets in the clip of either gun, Niko will pause mid-animation to reload, glitching the cutscene. Although the player stops to reload, Dimitri's body will still act as if he was shot three times in succession, without pause or hesitation. This causes the cutscene to freeze for roughly ten seconds before continuing as normal.